After completing their doctorate, the researchers' work environment related to protected crops might be in the public or private sector.

Options include working as a professor or researcher at a university (in Spain or in another country) or in a public research center (for example, IFAPA or another centre, eg. INIA or CSIC).

For this outcome, it is advisable to complete a postdoctoral degree at a relevant international center after finishing the doctorate.

An increasingly common option is to work in the research and innovation department of private companies.

Currently, in Spain, many companies and organizations are creating such departments. Another possibility is to work or create, together with other researchers, a company (a spin off) that provides technological services to the protected crops sector.